Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mock Chicken Noodle Soup

We've had the crud around here the past few days. I'm one of those lucky people who gets an allergy flare up and then ends up with a full blown sinus infection. The things that I learned to use in Alaska don't work as well here. It seems as though the littles have the same "weak genes" as their dad would say. We're surrounded by runny noses and plowing through our wipes stash. When you need to battle the sickies you call on chicken noodle soup to save the day. Unfortunately we're several days past needing to go to the grocery store, so we're chickenless. I do, however, have lots of yummy home canned chicken broth and the reality is that's the important part of chicken noodle soup anyway, so we threw together what I refer to as Mock Chicken Noodle Soup. It's about as quick as opening a can, but is more comforting and tastes better too.


2 cups of water
1 quart of chicken broth
2 cups of egg noodles
half bag of frozen veggies
2 tsp salt or to taste

Take it all and throw it into a pan except the salt and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 5 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Depending on how salty your broth is you may want to add salt before serving. I don't add much salt to my broth, so I end up adding a couple tsp.

Even snotty faced babies like it:


No comments:

Post a Comment