Thursday, May 31, 2012

Simply Brown Sugar


Do you ever have a "why didn't I realize that sooner?!" moment. I have them often, but I learn as I go and I love that my brain is a plethora of what I refer to as useless information. I get a kick out of the character Ducky from NCIS and how he is always rambling from one topic to the next and everything inspires another train of thought, yet, he can't finish where he's at. That's what it's like in my head half the time. But I digress.

A couple years ago during one of my research quest I discovered that brown sugar is nothing more than molasses and white sugar. That's it! Who knew?! This left mo wondering why for all these years I was buying that separate bag of sticky sweetness when it's two components were already happily nestled in my pantry.

The equation comes out to about 1 tsp molasses to 1 cup of sugar. You can adjust the amounts depending on your preference of lighter or darker sugar. If I'm doing a larger batch I mix it all together in my Kitchenaid, but a smaller batch can be easily mixed by hand using a fork. The plus for me is that we use Blackstrap molasses and it's a decent source of iron, calcium, and potassium and I'm of the opinion that every bit helps, especially if I'm making a treat that's going to go right to my rear anyway.

See, even my little terracotta ginger friend is happier in homemade brown sugar. If you don't have one of these I highly recommend it. Keeps my brown sugar from getting hard and lumpy.

Happy Baking-


No comments:

Post a Comment