Monday, November 7, 2011

Albino Carrots

I think parsnips are a very underrated veggie. The boys call them albino carrots. They have a nuttier flavor and texture than their orange cousins, though their waxy peel can be a little off putting. But I get excited when I find them in the produce section and always bring them home. They generally find their way into soups and being sliced into veggie chips. Last night I found I had macaroni boiling and no true plans for something that resembled a vegetable to go on the side. This is where failing to plan my week's menus bites me in the keister. The man I married would argue that homemade mac 'n cheese can stand on it's own merits, but let's remember that were he still here I'd still have to be the voice of reason and growing boys need more than cheese alone. Quick rummage through the kitchen and...

Hello parsnips!! Now it could be the giant bowl of Halloween candy, but my sweet tooth has been in overdrive lately and I needed something sweet. How does one make parsnips sweet? Cover them in honey of course! So we took a couple tablespoons of honey and a couple tablesppons of coconut oil. That happened to be what we have around, but I would have used olive oil or similar. I've also been craving ginger (there may be cookies in my future) so we threw in about a 1/4 tsp of ginger and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Mixed it all up and coated our diced carrots and parsnips, there were about 3 parsnips and 3 carrots all medium sized. The macaroni was baking on 350 so they went along for the ride. About 30 minutes later we had a nummy side that the toddler child even ate before touching his macaroni. I wish I had thought to take a picture, but it was pretty and autumny. I love when a pleasant side dish can be just as quick as steamed broccoli, but seem like so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment