Friday, November 11, 2011

Makeshift Mama

You know those moments when something goes wrong and you just have to rig something up quick to get by? Like when you're on the way out the door and realize your hem is unraveling so you staple it up with every intention of sewing it later. We had one of those moments yesterday. Toddler child has a blue winter coat. Mind you he's not the first kidlet to use it, but this is the coat he loves. Probably because he can say "my blue coat." Yay the speech therapy is working! But the blue coat at some point in it's previous life got a little too close to something hot. Maybe during New Year's firworks or maybe the dryer got excited. I don't really know, but the sleeve end was gnarled and burnt. This led to rubbing and chaffing on toddler child's wrist. I've been meaning to fix it, but we haven't had too many really winter coat worthy days, so I kept putting it off.
Yesterday was a rough day for toddler child. It's not easy being three! We were trying to get out the door to story time. "Where's my blue coat?" "It's in the sewing pile, wear this one." Enter melt down here. He has the cutest little peacoat that he adored last year and can fit again this year, but he wants nothing to do with it, not even the sweet toggle buttons. I don't normally break in these situations, but I'm at the end of my rope this week. Granted I could've just let him wear the sleeve and listened to him gripe the whole way to the library and back, but surely I could whip up a solution in 15 minutes or less.
Enter my makeshift mama moment:
First we trimmed off the burnt edge. It could've stayed since it was going to be hidden anyway, but oh well.
I salvaged the exsisting velcro piece to sew back on after. Then I cut of a rectangle piece of fleece and wrapped it around the cuff and sewed it down. This took a little fanagling, but we got it. And reattached the velcro. Tada!
It may not be the prettiest thing to look at, but toddler child was happy and we made it to story time. Plus there's one less thing in my to do pile!

No comments:

Post a Comment