Friday, June 22, 2012

Hashbrowns Waffle Style


I'm trying to have a lazy day today. Our past week has been so chaotic I just need to veg a bit. Unfortunately, I have a to do list that goes on for miles. I've done the easy things, sweep, throw in a load of laundry, play robot vs. pig with toddler child and I'm saving the lamer things like dishes for nap time. The boys and I did spend a little time in the garden. The excitement of finding new veggies ready to pick never gets old for them and I have to admit I'm always a little giddy too.

We have zucchini coming out of our ears and I feel like Bubba running through all the recipes to use it up, so when we dug up our potatoes I was excited for something new. When I think of potatoes I immediately go to hash browns. I love hash browns! Starchy fried goodness covered in ketchup. And recently I had heard you could cook hash browns in your waffle maker. How can you beat crispy potatoes with little pockets for my ketchup?!

So I dusted off my waffle maker and jump on it. I grated about 1 pound of potatoes. I leave the skins on, so it kinda makes my hash browns a shade of grey, but I prefer to keep those nutrients in tact. I rinse the potatoes and then squeeze them out in a cheesecloth or flour sack towel to remove the excess starchiness.


It took me longer than waffles I had to let it go through two cycles. You can see how it's not cooked through.


But once they were finished it was awesome! It felt like a complete meal with a little fruit and yogurt.

And in case you missed it this week I did an interview on the Diaper Pin and you can read a little about my cloth adventures here.


No comments:

Post a Comment