Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How to Tuesday - Grape Jelly From Juice Concentrate


We needed something nummy to put on our almost wonder bread and we're out of jelly and jam. Oh the horror! I'm pretty sure I teared up a little when we scraped out the last of the raspberry jam from Alaska. I have to admit that when I heard you could use frozen grape juice concentrate to make jelly I thought it was a cop out. Even lazy me thinks that's not enough work to say "hey I did it myself." Grapes only last all of a day in this house, so we had to try it anyway. Anything at least once, right?

Gather the fixings:
100% grape juice concentrate
1 packet of pectin
water
sugar
pan
jars and lids

-Sanitize your jars and lids, I let them boil while I'm working on my goodies
-Make juice as directed and pour 3 cups into a pan
-Add pectin packet
-Bring to a rolling boil
-Stir in 4 cups of sugar and boil for 2 minutes
-Skim froth off the top
-Fill jars and place lids on
-Place in hot water bath and boil 1/2 pints for 5 minutes and pints for 10, make sure the water covers the tops of your jars.
- Set out for 24 hours, you'll hear the little pops as they cool. This is my favorite part of canning.
-Check your seals and store/enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment